Wednesday 13 June 2012

The last three years:

I have spent the last three years in London studying for my law degree from the LSE. Having come to the end of that chapter of my life I find myself reflecting on what I have learned and gained from my experience at university more now than I ever did when I was studying. News items have become relevant to me where they probably would not have held my attention before coming to the LSE, for instance, yestreday's comments by the Church of England on the 'threat' posed by gay marriage. Such comments fill me with anger at their narrow-mindedness in this modern age, and yet it seems they are far from uncommon. But what can we expect from a society where good education is so scarce and unduly restricted?

Nestled away in central London amidst the glamour of the West End, the LSE might appear unassuming or too small to be of any great influence. But in reality it is a hub of educated thought, a coming-together of minds from all backgrounds, cultures and social strata which culminates in a web of rich and diverse opinion. It is an arena for debate on some of the most topical and controversial issues, but encourages co-operation and recognition of differing attitudes and opinions rather than spiteful rejection and conflict. It is thus an incredible place to learn, and I can honestly say that I am proud to have been part of such a remarkable institution full of truly inspirational people. I will hold my memories of the LSE and the people I have met there forever close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment